Optimal Design, one of Illinois’ Best Places to Work, is looking for the best, brightest, and most innovative Electrical Engineers to help us build the most amazing hardware in the world. Candidates at all experience levels will be considered, but must be U.S. citizens or green card holders. Open positions are on-site in the Arlington Heights headquarters, located at 601 West Campus Drive, or the Chicago studio located at 566 West Adams St.
Who We Are
At Optimal Design, we build cutting-edge technology solutions for clients across many industries. For over fifteen years, our team of expert designers, engineers and programmers have been dedicated to delivering beautifully and intelligently designed products that exceed the expectations of our customers. Our commitment to best-in-class user experiences, industrial design, mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, and software engineering has earned us recognition as an industry leader in IoT connected solutions, virtual reality, and wearables.
We take pride in our collaborative and cross-disciplinary approach to projects, working with the speed of a startup and the wisdom of industry veterans. As a member of our growing team, you’ll help solve important challenges in medical, industrial, virtual reality, and consumer electronics markets.
What You’ll Do
As an Electrical Engineer at Optimal Design, you will:
- Imagine new devices and electronics applications
- Build proof-of-concept prototypes
- Design electronics from blank schematic sheet to production
- Layout rigid and flexible printed circuit boards
- Engage with clients to understand requirements and provide outstanding customer service
- Troubleshoot challenging electronics problems
- Collaborate with and advise mechanical, software, and radio frequency engineers and industrial designers
Who We’re Looking For
An ideal candidate has the following skills:
- BS in Electrical Engineering or Computer Engineering
- Strong understanding of electrical and electronics fundamentals, including: electromagnetics, passive and active components, and integrated circuits
- Demonstrable capabilities in one or more key areas of electronics: Analog Hardware Design, Digital Hardware Design, RF Technologies, Embedded Circuit Design, Power Systems, Sensor and Control Circuits, Audio Electronics, or Optoelectronics
- Meaningful experience demonstrating the ability to confront difficult electronics problems independently and in a team environment
- Enthusiastic interest in a broad range of electronics applications
- Ability to apply skills to resolve difficult problems and develop innovative solutions.
- Excellent communication skills, self-managing initiative, and detail oriented workmanship
- Experience with schematic capture, PCB layout, and flex circuit design
- Experience prototyping circuits
- Experience designing circuits with antennas
- Experience with EMI, ESD, shielding, safety, and certification testing
- Experience sourcing components and working with suppliers
- MS in Electrical Engineering or Computer Engineering
- Ability to design and manage projects efficiently and effectively through all phases from concept to production
- Experience estimating project costs and lead times
- Experience working with enclosures and overcoming mechanical constraints
- Experience with firmware and software design, particularly embedded microcontroller C/C++ programming
What We’ll Need
If you’re as crazy about innovative product design as we are, please send the following to email@example.com with the Subject “Electrical Engineer 2018-01”:
- Resume + Cover Letter
- One Paragraph Response: What piece of technology (invented since the time you’ve been born) has most improved or impacted your life?