Optimal Design Mechanical Engineering Position
Optimal Design is growing its Mechanical Engineering team. Candidates at all experience levels will be considered, and compensation is commensurate with experience. Candidates must be U.S. citizens or green card holders. New team members will be based in the Arlington Heights headquarters, located at 601 West Campus Drive, or the Chicago studio located at 566 West Adams St.
Who We Are
At Optimal Design, we build cutting-edge technology solutions for clients across many industries. For over fifteen years, our team of expert designers and engineers have been dedicated to delivering beautifully and intelligently designed products that exceed the expectations of our customers. Our commitment to best-in-class user experiences, industrial design, mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, and software engineering has earned us recognition as an industry leader in IoT connected solutions, virtual reality, and wearables.
We take pride in our collaborative and cross-disciplinary approach to projects, working with the speed of a startup and the wisdom of industry veterans. As a member of our growing team, you’ll help solve important challenges in the medical, industrial, virtual reality, and consumer electronics markets.
What You’ll Do
As a Mechanical Engineer at Optimal Design, you will:
- Part design, creating drawings, and assemblies using Creo or Solidworks
- Development of manufacturing processes for production
- Project management, including scheduling, supplier management, and creating bills of materials
- Hands-on construction of functional prototypes
- Creation of test plans, testing, and other related tasks
- Trouble shooting and problem solving for new and existing designs
Who We’re Looking For
An ideal candidate has the following skills:
- BS in Mechanical Engineering or similar
- Proficiency in advanced solid modeling using Creo or Solidworks
- Experience working in project teams that include other disciplines (e.g. industrial design, electrical engineering, and software development)
- Excellent communication skills, self-managing, and detail oriented
- An in-depth knowledge of various manufacturing processes including injection molding, sheet metal forming, and metal castings.
- Knowledge of rapid prototyping processes and how to best utilize them for product development
- Experience using structural and/or thermal FEA analysis software
- A high degree of technical proficiency in mechanical engineering which includes knowledge of design for manufacturability and assembly, materials, processes, tolerance analysis, etc.
- Possess the ability to design and manage projects efficiently and effectively through all phases from concept through production
- Experience working with domestic and overseas suppliers
- The ability to convey professionalism in person, by phone and in writing
- A desire to positively affect their environment
What We’ll Need
If you’re as crazy about innovative product design as we are, please send the following to firstname.lastname@example.org with the Subject “Mechanical Engineer 2018-01”:
- Resume + Cover Letter
- Portfolio, if available (keep under 10MB)
- One Paragraph Response: What piece of technology (invented since the time you’ve been born) has most improved or impacted your life?